The Sport Science and Medicine department endeavour to promote a healthy, active lifestyle and optimal physical performance, through innovation, teaching, training, and clinical services.
During the rugby and hockey season an orthopaedic surgeon is on standby for injury assessment and treatment at the main field’s First-Aid Facility. They will also be running an hour long clinic on a Monday following Saturday sport during the winter sports season.
- Dr. D. Thomas (General Practitioner) MB.ChB (Stell),DA (SA)
- Dr. A. Morrish (Specialist Orthopaedic Surgeon, MBChB - UCT, FC Orth (SA) - Colleges of Medicine)
- Dr. R. Frank (Specialist Orthopaedic Surgeon, MBBCh-Wits,H.Dip Orth (SA) S.C. Orth (SA)
The Sanatorium is staffed by three qualified Registered Nurses with dispensing licenses. We have three clinics per day; one before school, one after school and one in the evening. We treat sports injuries and practice primary health care. We have a 24-hour emergency clinic service in cellular contact with Housemasters. Our clinic is registered under our school General Practitioner, Dr D. Thomas, and is licensed with the Department of Health.
- Sr. W. Yvette. McDonald - Dip. Nursing Science and Midwifery, Pharmacology for PHC, Dip. Occ. Health, B-Tech Occupational Health Nursing
- Sr. Bianca. L. Smith - Dip. Nursing Science and Midwifery
- Sr. Wendy. J. Allen - Dip Nursing Science and Midwifery, B.A Psych Counselling, Hons. BSc Psychology (incoming)
- Nick Pereira - BSc. Physiotherapy Stellenbosch. MSc. Candidate in Sports and Exercise Physiotherapy, UCT
Nick was the physiotherapist at the South African Hockey Association, 2014-2016, the Maritzburg United Football Club physiotherapist and medical consultant 2014-2017, and South African Football Association (Bafana Bafana) 2015.
Physiotherapy sessions are available at the Gilfillan Main Stand First-Aid Room from 2pm. Bookings can be made at the school sanatorium during the school day, on weekends or at the physiotherapy room in the afternoons. Sessions are held during the school term, Monday to Friday.
- Mel Carey - (Bachelor of Human Movement Science, Honours in Biokinetics. NMMU)
Mel represented Border and the Eastern Cape for hockey and Border for women’s cricket.
Biokinetic appointments run Monday-Friday from 14:00-18:00 at the Crews fitness centre. Appointments can either be made at the Sanatorium during school times and on weekends, or with me at the Crews centre in the afternoons.
Strength and Conditioning
- Carl Schmidt - (Master of Sport Science-UKZN, National Strength and Conditioning Specialist-USA)
Carl is certified in Olympic weightlifting and completed the Athletes Performance course. He was the Strength and Conditioning coach at the Sharks 2012-2016 and has worked with Bridgitte Hartley (Olympic Medallist) and Tyrone Pillay (Para-Olympic Medallist).
- Chris Carey - (Bachelor of Human Movement Science - Exercise Science & Sports Management. NMMU)
Chris completed the Athletes Performance course.
We coordinate the strength and conditioning for all core sports within Hilton College. We endeavor to educate and motivate each student-athlete to strive for excellence. Our chief objective is to teach the correct fundamentals of strength and conditioning, improve athletic performance, and reduce the risk of injury.
Strength and conditioning sessions are planned and structured sessions supervised by highly qualified personnel. Sessions are tailored for the appropriate age groups and all boys in the sessions undergo technique training. Sessions are held in either the Crews Fitness centre or the High Performance Centre Gym (Sports Centre). We work in close conjunction with the physiotherapist and biokineticist for boys with injuries.