The Hilton College of today has been built up over a period of over a hundred years. The electric light, macadamized roads and hot showers which we take for granted were unknown to early Hiltonians. While today a Hilton boy swims in a modern tiled pool, complete with filtration plant, his counterpart of sixty years ago and more swam in the farm dam. While a motor car brings the Durban boy to Hilton in just over an hour, ninety years ago the trip took two days. Prep was done by oil lamp; hot baths were the privilege of seniors, water being carried by paraffin tins. The present dining hall was once the chapel, assembly hall and concert hall as well.
The Headmasters' house - the original Voortrekker farmhouse when Newnham arrived at Hilton in 1872.
Two pupils in Hilton uniform on the right with a number of locals, in the area where the main school now stands. (1870)
Dining Hall and 3 classrooms 1902
The Former Pearce house and drinking fountain
The Drinking fountain
The Campbell Block in 1921
Hilton's premises in Howick where the school moved during the epidemic of 1922
The estate is all that an Hiltonian of the 1870's would recognise in the Hilton of the 1990's, for he, like the present day pupil, wandered over the country side and knew Rolling Stones, Pinnacles, Gwen's and the rest.